Banner

Banner

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Bumkins Prefold Review

At first, I was hesitant to try prefolds. I couldn't keep away when I found a good deal on brand new Bumkins prefolds from a cloth diaper service that went out of business. Encouraged by other cloth diapering mamas, I decided to give them a try.

First let's review the features:
-Available in bleached or unbleached indian cotton
-Available in newborn, mid-size range, or premium (toddler)
-Rectangular diaper with no elastic or closure system
-Extra layers in the wet zone
-Serged top and bottom

I was able to get the unbleached cotton, premium size prefolds. They came to me unused and unwashed. They were smooth and soft. After a couple washes to prep, they quilted up and got even softer.

Having never put a prefold on a real baby, I was nervous. I used a Snappi (review here) for closure. Honestly, I didn't look up how to fold a prefold over a baby. I just made it up. I was pleasantly surprised to see that my big daughter, who doesn't fit into typical one size diapers anymore, had enough left in the rise that I could fold it over in front before putting on the Snappi. I mostly use these under fleece covers, but occasionally use PUL covers or pockets. When using fleece, I just fold it on her, Snappi, and go. With PUL covers that have leg elastic, I need to tuck the fabric in from around the back of her thigh. It's not a huge deal, just one little extra step before releasing baby.

I really like these prefolds. They are soft against baby's bum. They are woven so they're not super flexible, but they are flexible enough to let her move well in them. The Snappi attaches well to the fabric for a secure hold. The fabric also washes great with a quick drying time, no staining, and no sign of the holes from the Snappi. They hold lots of liquid for a good absorbency. My daughter rarely wets the whole diaper before I change her, which is typically about every 3 hours during the day.

If you're looking for a basic stash, I highly recommend Bumkins cotton prefolds. They are relatively inexpensive for such good quality. They can be used as a prefold, lay in insert, or inserts for a pocket diaper. Of course, there's no bells and whistles but honestly, it's just going to get covered up anyway, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment